Sunday 18 January 2015

New Year resolutions take 2

I'm not dropping my resolutions, but I need to revisit one of them. The one I'm sticking to relates to playing the draw. This is on track; I'm now merely working on refining the amount of draw, mainly so that I can cut out the occasional hook. In general, I feel happy with this shot shape and feel it is the way forward for me, so I'm going to stick with it.

Putting is another story, not that I'm abandoning the idea that the wrists are a dangerous proposition when it comes to (in particular) shorter putts. I must admit I completely forgot about the grip I touted in my final post for 2014. I've subsequently tried lots of other grips: saw, pen, split, etc, etc., but without any real success. I need to actually try the modified reverse overlap grip that I spoke about.

One other putting concept that I've been thinking about has been the tap stroke for short putts. This is the theory that the less distance the club travels, the less chance there is for the face to get out of line. Short putts don't need any more than a tap, so why take the club back nearly as far as for say a twelve footer?

Anyway, I'm going to try my modified reverse overlap (which is actually probably in use by some pros) and also look into shortening my putting stroke for the pesky four footers. I'll see how it goes.

If this grip doesn't feel good, I will go back to my conventional two handed putting grip and just work on stroke length and trying to take the tension out of my putting. This is important in any case.

One other thought re my new irons; I've realised how important it is to let the club do the work. That is, I am finding I need to let the clubs do the work and not force any iron shots. If this means I haven't gained any significant distance with the new irons, so be it. I'll just need to work out my distances during the next few weeks as we lead up to the club championships.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home