Monday 2 September 2024

Hope springs eternal

It's been a long time since my last post probably because I needed some time to think on and process some ideas. I've summarised these below.

Driver: I'm gripping down to around 43 inches. Minimal loss of distance; huge gain in control has resulted. It's something that a lot of people should consider. The slight change in swing plane also promotes a slight draw, something that many would enjoy. I used to do this. Don't know why I didn't continue with it.

Fairway wood: I've gone to a 5-wood with, again, a slight loss of distance, but a considerable gain in terms of consistent contact and lift or height of shots. This was brought on by the realisation that I don't have the clubhead speed to hit 3-woods well. Many golf teachers support the switch to 5-wood for, in particular, senior golfers like me. And the distance statistics for average golfers support the move.

Pitching and chipping: unfortunately, a bout of shanking has forced me to be very conscious of my backswing when pitching and chipping. I have to be very careful to take the club back wide and keep it wide, with no ducking or moving into the ball. A slight improvement in confidence has helped, but I feel somewhat 'wooden' or less than fluid at present. I hope this resolves itself.

Irons: my major problem area in recent months, mainly because I don't seem to be able to control the impulse to hit at the ball rather than let the club and a smooth swing take care of the strike and the distance. It seems to be so hard to trust the club. I don't know why after all these years. Something to work on I suppose.

Putting: the most radical of my changes has been my putting grip. I am using a modified right (lower) hand grip that rests in the palm with no thumb or fingers being used for propulsion, similar to some of the claw grips, but different. It's hard to describe. However, this use of the lower palm has given me a better feel for longer putts and less twitch with shorter putts. I'm giving it a lengthy trial.

In general, I've regained a bit of form in recent weeks. I'm happy with the few new things I'm trying. And, after all, hope springs eternal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home