Monday 4 April 2022

Naturally it's difficult

Golf is said to be the hardest of all ball sports. Not sure about that, but it certainly does mess with your mind; it has with mine anyway for many years.

Recently, I've received a couple of comments regarding this blog and my golfing journey and I'd like to apologise to anyone (especially James) who has read my rambling theorising and wrecked their games as a result.

By way of explanation (excuse!) and to go back a bit, I started out on this so called journey in 2006, well before the blog began, trying to work out how to cure my slice. It took me several years to do that, but briefly, all I had to do was square up my shoulders (in particular) and swing on plane rather than over-the-top.

Perhaps I should have left it to that because ever since I've been searching for the holy grail of golf - CONSISTENCY. And although I've reached some goals (single figure handicap) and had some modest success (club competition wins and a hole in one) the fabled consistency I have not mastered.

I suspect that consistency to a fair degree relates to playing level. Pros and very low handicap amateurs are likely to play quite well most of the time (even if they don't see it that way). Weekday hackers on the other hand will pull out a good round once in a while, but are never really sure where the ball will go.

I'm somewhere in the middle and it might well be that I have to accept that I have reached my level of competency. If there is a secret to golf, I haven't found it. I will watch the Masters this week and contemplate how I would score on the fabled Augusta course. I think 120 might be achievable? But only because I prefer wide fairways and fast greens.

Anyway, there is a great deal to be said for acceptance. The reality is that those of us who can get out onto a pretty golf course, joke and joust with friends and hit a few good shots and maybe a few stinkers, are really very lucky. 

Naturally it's difficult for me to accept that really top class golf is beyond me because naturally golf is difficult.

1 Comments:

At 19 April 2022 at 09:48 , Blogger James Tregay said...

If you haven't read it, I recommend you read "The Golf Omnibus" by P.G. Wodehouse. If you have read it, I recommend you read it again, as I am intending to do. The stories are dated, but the characters are captivated by golf in the same way we are. For all its frustrations and disappointments, for all the struggle, I have loved everything about the game (the practising, the playing, the instruction books and videos - anything to do with golf!) and am so grateful that I found golf instead of something like tennis! (When Ash Barty announced she was quitting tennis, I said to the guys I was playing with that day that I would bet she quit tennis so that she could focus on golf - and recent news reports suggest I might be right!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home