Sunday 8 February 2015

Connection

I've been down a number of golf swing theory paths before, some might actually say up many garden paths, and this includes the idea of 'connection'.

This concept was, I believe, first given air-time by one Jimmy Ballard, PGA rebel and bad boy from way back. Jimmy would not teach from the PGA textbook and made a few enemies. But Jimmy also had a number of successful pros who were adherents to and admirers of his connection theories.

Connection, as I understand it, relates to the link between the arms and the upper torso. It involves linking the upper arms and shoulders and using the core and upper body to power the swing, while the arm, wrists and hands react or cooperate rather than leading in the hitting of a golf ball.

This is a very simplistic description of the theory; there is much more to it, including the way the left elbow must point down, retention of the arm and shoulder line triangle, etc. etc. For me, however, it is essentially about keeping a tight or close relationship between the upper arms and the chest.

I tried to think about this arm / body relationship in my last game. I found, somewhat to my surprise, that when I tried to keep the connection (according to my understanding of it) I hit my irons much more consistently, straighter and with relative ease. I did not notice any major improvement otherwise, but then again it is early days.

In my next game, I will again try to follow Jimmy's directives, checking beforehand on what he actually says to do. One thing I need to be convinced about is that this connection does not create a more rigid, less fluent and less powerful swing. I think at times I felt the need to keep my left arm straight and too rigid, which is not what he advocates, I know.

The funny thing about this is that one of my 'anti-theory' colleagues mentioned connection to me during a recent game; it made me think about it and revisit the concept - fortunately, I think. At the same time, I recently saw an article by Adam Scott when he spoke about his (very few) swing thoughts, one of which was to start his downswing with his arms and body at the same time - kind of connection theory perhaps?

Anyway, that's it for connection theory for now - I hope I can connect the dots.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home