Monday 16 May 2022

Do not read - insane golfer

Well, you can read the blog of 12 February 2022 because that is really the lesson I, and probably many others, need to learn in order to play decent golf.

That blog was about 'connection theory' and I don't need to repeat any of it except to note that the 'theory', which was once a 'hypothesis' (ie. untested and unproven), really does work.

I should clarify this to say that connection between the upper LEAD arm (triceps) and chest works to tighten the swing, improve sequencing and efficiency, but connecting the upper TRAIL arm and chest does not. Trail arm to chest connection is simply too restrictive and actually increases the chances of thin and topped shots.

I realise that connection does not guarantee the very important low-point control in the swing, as mentioned in recent blog posts, but it does help keep with consistency in the swing arc, which is obviously very important for finding a consistent low-point.

It is not all that easy to accept that one's swing will be quite a bit shorter, feels tighter and less powerful - until the improved sequencing, use of the big body muscles and better clubface contact starts to compensate for the apparent loss of potential speed and distance. However, patience will be its own reward - to use that lovely cliche.

This brings me to 'do not read - insane golfer'. I don't take my own advice. I tinker and experiment, constantly searching for the 'holy grail' - consistency - not to mention things like more length off the tee. But the answer is already in my own blog, something I forget, remember, forget, remember and forget again. Surely this is a definition of insanity not unlike the repeat / expect a different result definition?

Postscript: possibly there is a further mental issue I need to address. I've finally realised that putting with the hands united (with a grip like Jason Day's for example) is a much better idea than separated hands - my usual grip. Uniting the hands encourages the use of the shoulders, helps minimise wrist flick and generally feels great. I won't say how many years it's taken me to realise this; just lock me up and throw away the key.

3 Comments:

At 23 May 2022 at 11:54 , Blogger James Tregay said...

One reason I have so.much enjoyed reading your blog is that I am similarly insane. As I read, I kept on coming across the names of golf instructors whose methods I had at some time followed. Also, I too have kept a journal, though my journals have mostly been handwritten. A couple of weeks ago, on an impulse I pulled out a journal dated 2011 - 2013. There I discovered that the game-changing insight I had recorded on the first page was exactly the same game-changing insight I had recorded in my current journal just that morning!

 
At 23 May 2022 at 12:10 , Blogger James Tregay said...

Yes, I am constantly rediscovering what I have already discovered but forgotten in my exciting search for the single, perfect solution! Yes, it's insane, but I have sure enjoyed the trip! To quote the French poet Arthur Rimbaud: "Forever arriving, we shall go everywhere."

 
At 23 May 2022 at 12:37 , Blogger James Tregay said...

Right now, I am believing that I need to have my weight firmly on my trail (right) foot at address, because to have to shift my weight from the front foot or from the centre causes me problems. Earlier this evening, I remembered that E A Tischler, whose instruction I immersed myself in about ten years, ago, had talked about "rear anchor" players. Back then, I had regarded myself as a front-anchor player and hadn't even tried to discover if I was right or not. But now, hey, I have been wondering if I have been wrong all these years! In my practice area in what I call the the Backrooms, I have certainly been striking the ball well! But what will happen when I play next Sunday?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home