Sunday 26 February 2023

One year on - still learning

In February 2022, I wrote a blog post called 'Live and Learn'. Unfortunately, as usual, I do not take my own advice. It's taken me a year to realise that my musings on 'Connection Theory' are actually right on the money.

I've been playing poorly lately, experimenting with all kinds of moves, positions and concepts. None of these has borne fruit - unless you count bitter lemons. For me, it was necessary to revisit my old favourite - connection.

Connection in this case refers to keeping the upper left (front) arm and chest quite tight during the backswing and the downswing through contact. It does not include the trail arm. The objective is to retain this connection consistently during these phases of the swing.

I go into some detail in the earlier blog, including a discussion of the benefits of this connection - using the body and arms together for power, encouragement for keeping an extended lead arm and creation of a consistent swing radius. There are challenges also, including the need to overcome the feeling of restriction and the potential for shortening the swing, depending on one's flexibility.

Anyway, in my recent rounds I have gone back to this connection theory and I have to say it is feeling good. I had a decent round last week, sank nothing, shanked a couple of chips, but overall had a great ball striking round.

I am finally convinced that I need to connect my lead arm in this way - even if it shortens my swing and makes me look like a robot. If I can sort out my ball striking, I can hopefully start to work on my short game - which has suffered recently. One way or another, I'm still learning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home