Sunday 22 February 2015

Connecting the dots

Last blog, I talked about connection and related ideas. Unfortunately, although I've found the idea or theory to be worthwhile, for me at least it doesn't provide a specific enough implementation strategy. I can think about connection, but that doesn't really help me with my ball striking - in the way I had hoped it would.

What I have discovered instead is a way in which I can probably achieve most of the goals or principles of connection, but with a more specific swing thought and plan of action.

It's simple really, and it is just keeping the left arm straight (for right-handers). This simple technique seems to help preserve the arm triangle, create width, maintain the swing plane and arc, prevent over-swinging and all the good things that are promoted in concepts like connection.

The main caveat I would mention relates to over-stressing or tensing of the arm, which will defeat the whole purpose of the exercise. Too much tension will reduce the backswing too much, limit wrist-cock and generally limit the freedom of the swing. By straight arm, I mean as straight as possible, without tensing or straining.

One thing to note is that players with less shoulder and torso flexibility will struggle to achieve a full backswing while maintaining a straight left arm, unlike the Rory's of this world. However, a straight left arm and a reasonable amount of body rotation will still generate a good amount of power, because the wider arc, better built up of torque, better potential for accurate club head contact will compensate for the shorter backswing.

As I said in relation to connection, the straight left arm is also a work in progress.

Another work in progress is my putting. It has been terrible. As a consequence, I am going to go to left hand low, probably for all but the long putts (6 or 7 metres plus).

The evidence suggests that I am developing the yips, despite adopting an improved (weak) left hand grip, I am still missing putts to the left (mainly). I think I need to take my right hand out of any direction control. I've tried fancy claw and pen grips, but now it's time for the Inbee Park solution - not that she would have had the yips, but was probably taught to putt that way, as many younger players are likely to be taught.

Putting is so critical to scoring that until I can connect the dots with it, my handicap is going to languish in the mid teens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home