Monday 23 February 2015

Change of mind

I've done some practice with left hand low putting. I can only say - it's not for me. I've spent too many years in the backyard as a kid and later in life putting with a conventional grip and putting stroke, and putted fairly well, to change too radically.

I have decided for now to try out a couple of minor changes and live with the odd missed short putt. If I develop full-blown yips, I'll think again.

The changes to my grip and stroke are simple really. I will grip down for short putts, maybe two or three inches, so that my arms are stretched out a little more and I feel closer to the ball, hopefully with a feeling that I have a little more control.

After that, I'll try the well-regarded and proven method of holding the follow through, rather than jerking the club back after the stroke.

Finally, I'm also considering taking a Vardon-like overlap grip to take a little bit of right-hand hit out of the stroke. I use a ten finger grip for my other golf shots because I don't believe the average golfer should be limiting the power of their dominant hand. Unlike professionals and low amateurs, the last thing social golfers need to do is guard against hooks - 90 percent fade or slice.

A word on the straight left arm (for righties), the lead arm, in the full golf swing. It occurs to me that concentrating on keeping the lead arm straight, not rigid, helps the golfer maintain the lag in their swing without trying to do an fancy club manipulation.

Lag is great because it increases potential power (whip effect, etc.), but it is a dangerous customer in the wrong hands, leading to late hits, pushes, pull-slices and all sorts of issues. Concentrating on keeping the lead arm straight minimises the urge to flip the wrists and throw away the lag, while maximising the chances of keeping a consistent swing arc and making good club face contact.

That's enough - I might change my mind again.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home