Monday 16 March 2015

Win and lose

Following my re-study of Bobby Clampett's 'The Impact Zone' I went out and won the next comp I played in. But in my next round after that, I played like a nincompoop. Why is it so?

The answer, I think, is because even when success comes quickly, regression to old ways, old habits, is always on the cards. Although I thought I had the 'dynamics' of the BCIZ down, I believe I forgot one or two crucial aspects of the approach in my second game.

I'm now intending to review, in particular, the way in which one retains the lag into impact. This is referred to by BC as 'lagging the load', after having 'loaded the lag' on the backswing. It is essentially making sure that you retain the bent right wrist (for righties) and the triangle with the arms that you set up on the backswing for as long as possible on the downswing.

Reviewing some other writings on lag, it seems that the right elbow and its positioning in front of the right hip (for righties) is very important in trying to achieve this retention of lag. I remember looking at countless slow motion swings and noting the way in which the trailing elbow passed close to the trailing hip on the downswing into impact, but probably didn't have much idea about what it was all about - i.e. relating to lag retention.

Moving on, the other IZ dynamics: flat left wrist (for righties), front swing bottom (ideally 4 inches in front of the ball) and aim-point and plane line concepts, are not quite so difficult to implement. When I say that, getting on the front foot and compressing the ball is a major difficulty for many average golfers, but it is not a difficult idea and I think to a large degree just by retaining lag and using aim-point this compression/front divot will be achieved.

A lot of this IZ thinking is closely related to other ideas and methods, e.g.. Jimmy Ballard, but I think for now I'll just try to incorporate more of the IZ dynamics in my game and see what happens - win or lose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home